The craze of having lavish weddings is on the top in India. However, nowadays, many couples are choosing to have simple court weddings. Not only does it provide more privacy, but also it helps in saving an enormous amount of money. The court marriage process in Delhi has become a new trend, especially after the pandemic. The government reduced the number of guests significantly, resulting in small and private weddings. In the Indian Constitution, the “Special Marriage Act 1954” comprises marriage rules. The couple can tie their knots without much hustle if they fulfill the act's criteria.
As Delhi is the capital state of India, it comprises tremendous responsibility as the leading law projecting state. That’s why today we will discuss the court marriage process in Delhi. You can also hire various court marriage lawyers in Delhi to conduct your legal matters.
Requirements of Court Marriage process in Delhi
The court marriage process in Delhi requires a few documents before proceeding. You will need all these documents with an attested request document. The court marriage process in Delhi starts with filing a request for the appointment of the registrar.
- The minimum age of marriage is 21 years for the groom during 18 years for the bride. Your court marriage lawyer in Delhi will need a document to prove your legal age. You can present a passport, birth certificate, or minimum 10th mark sheet.
- You also need to submit an address proof of both sides. You can give a Voter ID or driving license.
- The most crucial factor of the process is that you will require witnesses.
- Next is a PAN card, Adhar card, or any other address proof belonging to the witnesses.
- You will require a minimum of 6 passport size pictures of both parties.
- The court marriage process in Delhi asks for the prerequisite that both witnesses must be from Delhi.
Process of registering for your court marriage in Delhi
You need to outline a multi-leveled process for registering for your wedding. You need to get the appointment of the court beforehand. You will need to plan your wedding weeks for your court marriage. Here are a few crucial points for the court marriage process in Delhi.
- The groom and bride should be of minimum legal age.
- The marriage courts of Delhi are only operating on three specific days of the week- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- You will need a time of 3 to 4 days for executing your court marriage.
- Both the parties getting married need to present an address proof. It can be any legal document with the address mentioned on it.
- The court marriage process in Delhi has two phases. In the first phase, you will need to visit the court for Arya Samaj Marriage. Then, in the second phase, you will need to visit the court to verify the court marriage. This process takes a gap of 1 or 2 days.
- The religions of the groom and bride can be Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, or Sikhs. For other religions, the Arya Samaj Marriage evolves to their religious rituals.
- You can choose anyone 18+ years of age to become your witness in the court. There is no such limitation.
- There is no legal notice delivered to the address given by Groom or Bride.
There is also a concept of the same-day court marriage process in Delhi, where the NCR takes care of all the operations. It also has similar requirements. Except you can apply for it any day from Monday to Friday. You can also choose a foreign person as your witness. The court certificate for marriage is given on the same day. The validity of this certificate ranges up to all the countries. If it's your second wedding, you need to show your divorce documents or your partner's death certificate. The overall time for the process is around 40 days. There are no restrictions in the court marriage process in Delhi. The process requires a minimum of three witnesses, and 30 days are given to suggest an objection against the marriage. The wedding gets completed on the second appearance.