Understanding Data Center Security
The concept of Data Center security discusses the practices, policies, security measures along with technologies that are used for ensuring physical and virtual protection of any Data Center facility. Data Centers need to be safeguarded against all forms of insider and outsider threats besides other forms of prominent forms of cybercrimes. They constantly pose threats to a Data Centre’s security infrastructure.
The following are some basic yet commonly used considerations for deciding the effectiveness of a Data Center-
- Physical security of the Data Center infrastructure
- Managing and controlling user access
- Defining security procedures and protocols
The considerations mentioned above might be complex in nature, made of different elements used to define individual Data Center components’ effectiveness. The absence of a multi-layered security environment at a Data Center may compromise the Data Center infrastructure against all forms of persistent threats.
Why is Data Center Security Needed?
Data Center Security is important for any organization that stores critical and vital user information within Data Centers. A robust Data Center security infrastructure ensures hackers and other cybercriminals are kept away from the central repository. A Data Center security solution can be achieved either through Data Centers or a partner.
The absence of Data Center security can possibly invite the following attacks-
- Scanning/Probing- In this form of a Data Center attack, a request is given to multiple port addresses present on an active port with the intent to create damage using the weakness present in the service port.
- Denial of Service (DoS) Attacks-Denial of Service attacks occurs when the system owners are restricted from accessing their network and other critical system resources, resulting in a hostile threat-like situation.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Attacks- This attack takes place on several systems present in the network, leaving the entire network open to cyber risks.
Access Controls in Data Centers
There are three significant reasons why an access control mechanism is indispensable in any Data Center infrastructure. These reasons include-
- Physical Security- A Data Center’s physical security is clearly guaranteed when selecting the Data Center access controls. The Data Center providers don’t want unrestricted members to access the floor. The physical security of Data Center becomes an ultimate security measure when it combines with the compatibility and compliance of Data Centers.
- Compatibility- In terms of compatibility, using a Cloud-based Access Control mechanism allows the Data Center providers to integrate the existing IT infrastructure with all the physical components present in the Data Center. Cloud-based access control can be combined with intrusion detection alerts, multi-factor authentication, and other enhanced security measures. Usually, the legacy access control systems can be highly ineffective as they don’t assure any form of compatibility.